• 16 May 2017

    Scottish charity Amina MWRC has recently acknowledged that it received Prevent funding in 2015 and has apologised for "any inconvenience and distress this has caused." It still has some way to go before it can be said to have earned the trust that it needs.

  • 01 April 2017

    The Scottish Information Commissioner has upheld the Scottish Government's refusal to name charities and NGOs that it is funding under the controversial Prevent strategy. SACC says that secrecy will damage the confidence of Scotland's minority communities

  • 23 March 2017

    Statement on behalf of SACC by Richard Haley (Chair) in response to the murders outside the Westminster Parliament on Wednesday 22 March

  • 11 February 2017

    SACC calls for the rights of EU citizens living in the UK to be protected. We oppose any measures that reduce people’s freedom of movement in the EU or globally.

  • 11 February 2017

    SACC supports efforts in the US and around the world to oppose and resist the racist, reactionary and authoritarian policies taking shape under the Trump administration.

  • 07 February 2017

    Hundreds marched through Edinburgh on Saturday to a rally outside the Scottish Parliament in protest at Donald Trump's Muslim ban.

  • 26 January 2017
    The Prevent strategy is being stepped up in Scotland, but new figures show that the Prevent Professional Concerns element of the strategy is virtually inoperative. What's going on?
  • 13 December 2016
    Whitehall has for the first time released a confidential Cabinet Office paper outlining the "Contest" counter-terrorism strategy developed in early 2003

Background & Comment

  • Armed police posing at Glasgow airport

    A freedom of information response from Strathclyde Police, dated 29 January 2010, gives an interesting picture of the development of the Prevent strategy in Scotland. The statement emphasises the intelligence-gathering aspect of Prevent.

  • Scrap Prevent

    SACC briefing on Prevent, updated for Spring 2017. What Prevent is, why it's wrong, what the law says about it and what we should do about it.

  • Robert Gordon University

    87% of funding awarded to NGOs by the Scottish Government to support delivery of the 'Prevent' counter-extremism strategy goes to undisclosed organisations.  The Scottish Government has provided limited information on how the remaining 13% is being spent. Recipients have included Robert Gordon University, St Andrews University and Edinburgh University.

  • Scrap Prevent

    Model resolution on the Prevent strategy for political parties and other organisations in Scotland.

  • Policing the classroom

    The Scottish Association of Minority Ethnic Educators (SAMEE) has been heavily funded by the police. What exactly are the police getting for their money?

  • Speakers at the SACC/IHRC Islamophobia conference 2016, Edinburgh
    The SACC/IHRC Islamophobia Conference was held at the Augustine United Church, Edinburgh on Saturday 3 December.
  • Orkney Islands Council Coat of Arms
    A Prevent Action Plan released by Orkney Islands Council reveals that not just teachers, but Parent Councils and volunteers working with schools are to be given briefings on Prevent. A similar plan from Aberdeen reveals worrying intelligence-gatherin activities.
  • Inauguration of the Court of Session, 1532
    Public bodies say that they are legally required to implement the Prevent strategy under the Counter Terrorism and Security Act (CTSA) 2015. Are they really?
Subscribe to Scotland Against Criminalising Communities RSS